Re: New AES features

 >>  >No it's not. The last thing we need is yet another protocol or API.
 >>
 >> Read my original post again.
 >
 >---------8<-------------
 >IMHO, it's about time N.AES and MagiC people sit down and draft specs
 >on what new system calls should be added, then release a Compendium II
 >to document the new functions.
 >-----------8<-----------
 >
 >You clearly state that new system-calls are needed, which I don't
 >think they are (yet). What really needs to be done is to start an
 >offencive towards programmers and convince them to use existing
 >protocols, APIs, MiNT- and AES-features etc.

Since this apparently wasn't clear enough, what I mean is:

   There's already plenty of new protocols since 1994, such as
   CAB, OLGA, which need to be properly documented, then regrouped
   in a new authoritative book.

   The book won't be a reality until MagiC and N.AES provide the
   same AES features in compatible ways; both parties need to sit
   down and agree on things.

   For instance, 3D elements don't come out the same size in MagiC
   and N.AES nor MultiTOS.

   How many pixels large should "8 character button, Default, Exit"
   produce?  Better yet, BoxText "Outside 2"?  How big then?

   I'm only scratching the surface.  Both AES should agree on ONE
   standard Fontselector protocol that will become the reference,
   among other things.

   Only then will programmers KNOW which kind of protocol should be
   used to make an application for the whole GEM world, not just
   N.AES or Magic specific.

 >> My point is, there are protocols that duplicate each other. I NEVER
 >
 >Which ones?

For example:

   Thing FONTSELECT, UFLS, XFSL... How many fontselector protocols
   do we really need?

 >The problem isn't to many protocols, but that many programmers
 >simply ignore them and implement every little feature in their
 >own programs.

How can they be expected to use something that isn't properly
documented in an authoritative book?

Recently, Lonny Pursell (AtarIRC) was asking me what are the
standard keyboard shortcuts, since they evolved from those in
the Compendium to "new german shortcuts" found in CAB etc.?

I could not answer anything but:

   "write down shortcuts you find in CAB, Everest, qed & N.AES,
   those are as close to an agreed standard as it gets"

Kinda lame, but what else could I answer when there's no recent
"official" programming reference?

 >Anyway, this is totally off-topic, so does anybody know what happened
 >to the GEM-list? Is it still alive?

Was there ever one?!?! This is news to me...

Martin-Eric Racine          # The Atari TT030 Homepage and FAQ #
FUNKYWARE CREATIONS inc.    http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk/TT030