Re: 2.8 and serial-port

The idea is, MiNT also uses the RSVF cookie to indicate the presence of an
advanced method of fetching port info (with fcntl(tiocibaud); AFAIK).

Since this method is also used by HS-Modem, the cookie value put by HS-M
has to be saved somewhere and copied back on top of the MiNT-generated
cookie, to correctly report infos about possible hardware mods supported
by HS-Modem.

This is abundantly documented in the programming docs of HS-Modem, which
includes e-mail experpts between Harun Scheutzow and Eric Smith.

Jerry Geiger wrote the RSVX to allow copying this info back, after it was
found that MiNT changes the values HS-Modem puts there at bootup.

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Juhani Sivusalo wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:
>
> > rsvx.prg doesn't do anything judging from the source. It renames the
> > RSVf-cookie to RSVF, but since there's no RSVf-cookie to rename
> > nothing happens. Perhaps earlier MiNT-versions renamed the RSVF-cookie
> > to RSVf, but all versions I've used just removes it.
>
> I understood that it renames RSVF to RSVf at first run (before MiNT) and
> if you run it after MiNT it renames RSVf back to RSVF. I can't actually
> say that there is any advantage doing this ...

 Martin-Eric Racine           The Atari TT030 Homepage with FAQ
 FUNKYWARE CREATIONS inc.     http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/