Re: new MiNT list server?

Hi!

On Tue, Nov 03, 1998 at 09:00:57AM +0200, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
> > However, I have some strategical/economical/tactical considerations
> > on the subject:  One of the unwritten aims of this list is to encourage
> > users and developers to still count on both MiNT and the Atari platform,
> > isn't it?  From this point of view a group comp.os.mint on the usenet
> > would help a lot because it proves to the world that both the Atari
> > platform and MiNT are still alive and has quite a few users.
>
> Nice idea, but I think it's wishfull thinking.
>
> In case you're unaware of the procedure for creating newsgroups,
> here's how it goes:

I've taken part in the creation of the Mutt newsgroup some months
ago; didn't seem that complicated after all.

> 3) expect Amiga and PC people to vote against it and outnumber
>    the Atari crowd, when the time comes.  They will submit
>    that Atari is dead and our small number will prove them right.

I think that's a little pessimistic.  If I consider the flames
between the users of different mailers one should have expected
loads of "against" votes for the Mutt newsgroup.  In fact there
were only few.

> This is exactly what happened, when people tried to create a
> comp.sys.atari.networking (or whatever the proposed name was).

Depends on the way you propose it.  If you omit "atari" you've
almost won.  "MiNT is a BSD-like unix clone..." sounds much
better than "We are some hopeless Atari lunatics..."

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000