Re: FreeType - A TrueType engine

Hi!

On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 01:54:14PM +0100, Johan Klockars wrote:
> > > What I would really like is a library that performs all the nice
> > > stuff the graphics gurus do in their programs (blitting images,
> > > dithering in various qualities, color management...) but don't
>
> I think NVDI5 has such things built in and I plan to have a compatible
> interface in fVDI sooner or later.

I have NVDI 2.5 ...
Of course things could be much easier (and programs much smaller)
if everybody would have NVDI 5.0 or fVDI 1.0.

Thanks for the sources you mentioned later.  I will check them
out.  For non-Atari-specific stuff (like dithering, colormapping)
the sources to the libjpeg are also valuable.  And the utils
section of xscreensaver has some interesting things too.

> I probably have most of the necessary routines already from MGIF.
>
> > > like to talk about.  In fact I've already started with such a library.
>
> Who doesn't want to talk about those things?

Get a shareware image viewer and ask the author for some bits
of code... ;-)

> You can find code for just about everything on the Internet and MGIF is
> GPL nowadays if you want to have a look at the (usually fast) code in there.
> (If anyone ever reqests those sources I'll have to add GPL notices first,
>  but that can be done quickly if you just want a few of the files.)

I will look for MGIF.  BTW, before you GPL it, have you checked out
that you won't get into trouble with Unisys?

> > libmagick can do a lot of things. It's mainly made for X though, but
> > can be used elsewhere too. Me and some others are making a graphics
> > lib for Linux, oFBis, which handles the basic graphical things,
> > bitblt, lines, pixels a.s.o. We've made a simple picture viewer that

Source for libmagick?  Sorry, but I never heard of it.

> Another place to look would be the sources to the W windowing system.

Hm, they can probably rely on a fixed-size (16 or 256 colors) palette.

> My code in MGIF or Doug Little's very similar one in AtariQuake can easily

And where is AtariQuake?

I will first try to get things working in plain C and then
optimize the code with the assembler pieces you mentioned later.
I still think that a relatively high-level library for these
things makes sense.  You don't want to read hundreds of pages
just to display a tiny 256-color icon.

Ciao and thanks.

Guido
--