Re: [MiNT] pid directory

On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 02:59:57PM +0200, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
> Another problem, similar to the wtmp path mentioned in my other post
> about INIT, is the location of the pid files.  Those should usually
> go in /var/run/(appname).pid but several things in KGMD write it to
> /etc/(appname).pid instead.
>
> CRON 3.* (most recent port) is one of those without any explicit
> declaration of the PID path, nor a header that would define some
> system-wide location for those.
>
> Again, a question for Unix gurus:
>
> 1) are _all_ daemons expected to write their PID file into /var/run ?

Definitely. /etc should still work when mounted read-only.

> 2) where would I find the pathname used, when it's not declared anywhere?
> 3) Would there be some sort of unwritten rule that says the PID will be
>    written in the same dir as the CONF file?

I guess the 'old' scheme (SunOS, maybe old BSD) would be to use /etc,
/var/adm and similar paths, whereas the 'new' scheme (IIRC a bit SysV-ish)
uses a more thought-out method (/var/log, /var/run, configfiles in /etc or
/etc/<program_name>, /sbin for system binaries ...).

You might want to look at the Linux Filesystem Standard, which defines where
to put what. Conforming to fsstnd would make it a lot easier for people who
know a modern unix distribution to find things on a MiNT system.

If it helps, I can look up things on my Debian system.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen