[MiNT] INIT versions and wtmp

Hello everyone,

as I'm putting the finnishing touches on NMD, I realised that INIT
and quite a few other things write to /var/adm, which is replaced
by a single /var/log on most recent systems.

Some sources use <paths.h> or explicitely declare the path of their
chosen log file (which is easy to fix), but INIT seems hard-coded to
write to /var/adm/wtmp and /etc/utmp.

Therefore, I'm asking all the Unix gurus with experience on a variety
of systems to help out:

1) where do I find the /path/filename of the wtmp and utmp files?
2) what is the usual place to find them?

Also, has anyone ever ported FHS 2.0-compliant version of INIT
(or at least, a more recent version than the one in MiNTos)?

Any help (or URL with the answer) would be welcome.
Thanks.

  Martin-Eric Racine * http://www.pp.fishpool.com/~q-funk/M-E/
  The Atari TT030 Homepage * http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/