Re: AW: [MiNT] drive letters (was: Kernal que

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:36:42 +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:

> > The file /etc/mtab contains something like this:
> >
> > /dev/sda1 / ext2 rw 0 0
> > proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> > /dev/sda2 /usr ext2 rw 0 0
> > /dev/sdb2 /mnt ext2 rw 0 0
> >
> > which is the mounted devices. The directory /proc is a special
> > directory with system information. The same information as above can
> > also be found if you read from /proc/mounts. I'm not sure which of the
> > two that are used by programs, though. Maybe both are.
>
> This concept does not work very well with MiNT (or MagiC), as the type of
> the filesystem only depends on the mounted media. We need something more
> flexible.

I agree 100%, there's no point in adapting something just because it's "the
way unix does it". There are already far better (i.e. not static like fstab)
mecanisms in MiNT to detect filesystems.

Why not simply update fsck to use the proper MiNT-calls (the source for FSetter
has some good examples on how to use these) instead of the static and
old-fashioned fstab.

/*
**
*/