Re: [MiNT] drive letters (was: Kernal questions)

> > No.  They use filesystem images.  Whether they are located on a physical
> > (block) device or as a plain file in another filesystem doesn't matter.
> > Also, you _can_ say "fsck /root" and fsck will look up the (usual) mount
> > point in /etc/fstab.
>
> And that mount point is....?  a filesystem _or_ DOS drive letter, AFAIR.

fsck uses the device names for the partitions. DOS letters are
*completely* nonexistent in Linux. fsck uses things like /dev/hda0 which
means partition 0 of the first harddisk (a). Throught the whole process of
appointing drive partitions to mount points, you'll never see drive
letters.

On my linuxbox, there is hence only a drive C (because dos can't see the
linux partition), whereas linux sees both the dos and the linux-root
partitions (hda0 and hda1).. there's no trace of a drive D on the system
anywhere. :)

Maurits.

---

* I don't believe in camera tricks.

*  What's more stupid than making a not-millenium-proof operating system?
**   Doing so in 1998.
***
***********

          Maurits van de Kamp (maurits@bassment.demon.nl)

    _____    B A S S M E N T   P R O D U C T I O N S     _____
  /     /\\     >> http://www.bassment.demon.nl <<     /     /\\
|      \/   |   / Black Currant                  \   |      \/   |
|   /\      |  |             bc@bassment.demon.nl |  |   /\      |
 \ /=/     /   |  Purple Trance                   |   \ /=/     /
  \\/____ /     \            pt@bassment.demon.nl/     \\/____ /