[MiNT] question about W makefiles

Eero, what version of make is the best for building W1R4 on MiNT?
I've been using gnumake 3.63, but it doesn't understand '+='. I tried a
port of 3.71 from somewhere on umich.edu, but it had some bizarre problems
of its own, saying "extraneous text at the end of ifeq directive."
So I'm back to 3.63.

Also, does W server ever throw out packets from the mouse device?
I know that some are getting lost along the way, but whether it's W or just
my mouse driver's handling of buffer overflows I can't tell.
(The result is that the Mac and W end up having different ideas of where
the mouse is on the screen, and the pointer gets restricted to an invisible
box on the desktop... grrr...)

Thanks

Jonathan