RE: [MiNT] drive letters (was: Kernal questions)

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> I don't agree.
>
> As you know, the purpose of chmod is to restrict access (or hide) certain
> directories.  In the case of / it belongs to root, so if we allow a chmod
> on U: we could easily end up locking access to the whole filesystem.
>
> Julian's idea sounds like a simpler solution, but it really opens up too
> many security breaches and fails to handle the simple task outlined above.

Maybe I'm missing something (again) but why should any user be able to
hide those directories via using chmod? Why not simply allow only root to
do that? Then it would not cause any security problem.

| Mario Becroft                * Tariland, New Zealand Atari User Group |
| mb@tos.pl.net                * Atari Hardware Developments            |
| http://www.pl.net/~mario/    * Atari Serial Mouse Interface           |