Re: [MiNT] Proposition

On Tue, Apr 06, 1999 at 06:37:52PM +0000, kellis wrote:

> Or, work as multiuser. like I have 3 accounts here (GEM). all the env are
> set per user basis here.
> Or from THING for some special case. Very flexible if you ask me.

Yes - but only if *one* setting is sufficient. Take proxy servers: in the
worst case, you need a lot of different ones (for the different protocols),
*and* you need different ones for each dialup connection. I don't want to
login as a new user for each dialup connection just to have the correct
settings!

> > Why not simply use /etc/mailcap? The version on my Linux machine contains
> > (among others):
> /etc/mailcap looks like chinese to edit efficiently. ALso it is a global
> one. As in the user kellis can't edit the mailcap file.

Usually, you first read /etc/mailcap, then $HOME/.mailcap - voila. The point
was to use *some* central site for all these things, instead of a big bunch
of env variables.

> > OK, you could set this via an env variable, however, the POP server may
> > change depending on what dialup connection I use right now, or there may be
> > multiple accounts on multiple servers, so an env variable seems too
> > unflexible for this purpose to me.
> any user can overwrite an env for his local setting. I don';t think this
> is not unflexible.

Um - you mean I have to login as different users, then use POP each time,
just to poll all my (!) mailboxes? Does not sound very useful to me.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen