Re: [MiNT] Here documents and CRLF

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 09:11:14PM +1200, Mario Becroft wrote:
> I seem to run into problems with this from time to time, I think it
> happens because the UNIXMODE environment variable isn't set in some
> cases. I have it set in mint.cnf and in /etc/profile but still there seem
> to be situations where it is not set. I didn't really look into why that
> happens, no doubt a unix guru will be able to explain it in detail.

Not a guru, still answering.
Set UNIXMODE in n_aes.cnf.  Then Toswin will have it already set and all
processes launched by Toswin.

> I'm sure there is some good reason for UNIXMODE, but it seem to me it
> would be quite handy if things worked without it. Then I wouldn't have all
> these obscure problems to sort out where in some odd cases a file gets
> mangled with CRLF's because (for some unknown reason) UNIXMODE wasn't set
> properly. Or is there something I can do that will ensure that, no matter
> what, UNIXMODE always gets propagated to every program?

The advantage of UNIXMODE is that you can turn it off.  If your input
files have lines CRLF terminated and the program that reads it doesn't
like it, you can temporarily unset UNIXMODE.  In this case input CRLF will
get translated into LF and your program (the shell is an example for that)
will not complain.

Ciao

Guido
--