Re: [MiNT] ext2fs and programs

> tail just doesn't work, no errors or anything, but anything appended will
> not be passed on.

Tails works fine on Minix V2 (as created by Minit with 0.71), but
indeed often crashes with a PC=0 error at first, then it catches
up and displays the file.

> ncftp 2.4.2 (I think) gives a segmentation fault (ADDRESS ERROR, PC=0).

This happens 3 times out of 5 when booting the AES with Thing 1.27,
using the 1.15.1 kernels, but only 2 out of 5 using 1.15.0, which
is still not good enough;  the early 1.15.0 betas worked OK before.

> This is on a TT, on the Falcon and an identical setup (but with minixfs
> instead of ext2fs) both things work as they should. The files are the
> same, I'm pretty clueless, anyone?

Two hints:

1) Frank develops on a Milan, which uses (a patched) TOS 4.04 as its
   basis.  As previously noted, _none_ of the TOS 4 were bug-free,
   so this implies that whatever works on a Falcon/Milan might not
   on older TOS versions.

2) Minix is somewhat more stable and time-proven than Ext2, on MiNT;
   there are still some bugs remaining on Ext2.

   For example, this weekend at NAS, Jonas Möller Nielson had a file
   (an "endless loop" recursive directory, the results of an badly
   formulated symlink) on his Ext2 partition that "rm -rf filename"
   could not remove, but the same file was easily removed using the
   same command, on his Minix partition.

Anyhow, I'm still trying to get Ext2 to work on my TT as well, but
then again, since the new 1.15.1 kernels prevent me from cleanly
booting the AES 3 times out of 5, so I get bored easily, turn off
the TT and go out for a bicycle ride instead....

--
Martin-Eric Racine        http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/M-E/
The Atari TT030 Homepage       http://funkyware.atari.org/TT030/