Re: [MiNT] GlueSTiK and mem protection

 Hi!

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Guido Flohr wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 05:06:40PM +0000, Lonny Pursell wrote:
> > Perhaps Scott can better answer, but I can take try.
> > CIB means "connection information block" and this structure is
> > maintained by the tcp/ip stack, one for each connection.
> > A client can request info about a connection based on the connection
> > handle it was given when it started the connection.  Gluestik is
> > having to emulate this behavior.  The client is given a pointer to the
> > CIB structure.  Not a good design, this means the client indeed has to
> > go looking around in gluestik's memory area.
> >
> > There are other structures but I think it's just this one (CIB) that
> > cannot be accessed correctly.
>
> What about using a shared memory file for that issue? The driver (is
> Gluestik a driver?) could keep a use-count of that file and free the
> resources when it is necessary.  But I don't see a need for kmalloc.

 I have managed to get gluestik to work perfectly with memory-protection
here on my machine. What I did was change the kmallocs that gets memory
that user programs need to access with umalloc. And I had to run the
"standalone" program from mint.cnf. I think this is because an XDD and all
its text is regarded being part of the kernel, and thus users apps can not
access functions in its text area, where the stik functions are. Anyway,
now it works flawlessly here ;-)

 Odd Skancke - ozk@atari.org