Re: [MiNT] Mintnet bug

On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 11:49:58AM +0200, Torsten Lang wrote:

> The behaviour was changed in a way that also icmp echo requests to a broadcast
> address (like a ping to 192.168.1.255) are answered by the network kernal.
> This is how Linux behaves and was needed for some Macintosh nfs client (and
> perhaps other sw) that tries to find all systems in the local network by
> sending such broadcasts.

That may be the problem - IIRC, mint also sends some ICMP error message in
reply to such broadcasts (port unreachable?), which gets flagged by Linux as
an error. I will check as soon as I have network in my Milan working again
(no free slots currently).

Any Linux machine with a current kernel (2.2.* at least, I think this came
earlier) and samba running on it should trigger this message.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen