RE: [MiNT] MiNTLib 0.52.3b

> Even if it was broken, is it worth it to change the entire concept??
> Wouldn't it be better to fix the prob you are seeing? (broken)

We are talking about two separate things here, so I'll answer them
separately:

1) ability to mount a drive at a specific point.
   Still needed; was partially possible using minix 0.60,
   but currently gone; we have to symlink everything, which
   has its dangers (see Andreas' post).

2) broken media change on floppy, especially using VFAT.
   This obviously has to be investigated.

> Using the typical mount way of unixes to mint to me a mistake.

If you mean as in: mount blah.... then yes, a bit tedious.

However, the ability to mount specific drives at specific
points, instead of brainlessly auto-mounting all drives at
root is definitely needed.

> > But why should we have to force media-change detection, while
> > other OS apparently handle it smoothly and transparently?
> Now I don't know who's maintaining all the commercial unix box you are
> using, coz they must be god. TRansparently, never crash, all works smooth
> etc. yeah right.

Instead of BASHing on other Unices, answer the topic of the discussion,
which was that Bash on Linux handles floppy changes fine, while the one
on MiNT (presumably because of a bug in the NEWFATFS) buggers and exits.

--
Martin-Eric Racine        http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/M-E/
The ATARI TT030 Homepage       http://funkyware.atari.org/TT030/