Re: [MiNT] Sparemint and FHS

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Michael Schwingen wrote:

> > Which is the whole point:  if you're gonna build them from scratch,
> > build them with the new paths, not the old one.  Fix it _ONCE_.
>
> I fully have to agree on that one. If we are going to change this, doing it
> as early as possible avoids doing whe work twice.

Yes, but that also means changing the wtmp/utmp FORMAT. I fully agree that
it should stay on it's old location as long as the old format is used.
Otherwise you'll still be doing work twice, and as said earlier, programs
expecting the old format when the new one is there or vice versa, will
crash. The fact that the location is about to be changed as well as the
format, is a perfect way of seperating the two: If you program something
that expects the new utmp/wtmp, look in the new location.

Why does this point need to be made 3 times before anyone sees it, or even
just states a counter-argument? :-)

Maurits.

---

iMac - winegums without the taste.

| BassMent Productions | Proud sponsor of: |    * P M P * |
| http://www.bassment.demon.nl   *   http://pmp.atari.org |