Re: [MiNT] Detecting serial-devices

On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 10:06:15AM +0000, John Blakeley wrote:

> resolv.conf must be evaluated each time a hostname lookup is evaluated (I
> say that because I work on a system that dynamically links
> /etc/resolv.conf to /etc/resolv.conf.d/{offline,ppp0} depending on what
> has been requested).
>
> SCO, DGUX, AIX, Solaris and Linux all use resolv.conf here. I don't think
> we can get away from it.

Hm - tell me if I am wrong, but IMHO only libresolv is reading resolv.conf -
it should not be hardcoded in any application, and that means that it is
easy to map this access to a different mechanism - eg. a system-wide
database with all network settings.

However, I would only suggest doing so if it really has benefits. Otherwise,
simply keep the known interface like it is.

> 	resolv.conf.d/
> 	hosts.d/
> 	domainname.d/
> 	hostname.d/

I don't quite see why you need separate hosts, hostname and domainname for
different providers - after all, these are only used locally. You should
only need different nameserver setting and dialup settings.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen