RE: [MiNT] Hades MiNT-Net problems

You can use both the original names and the symlinks, it doesn't matter.

> I've read a lot of documentation since I began to go the Un*x
> way but I sure
> didn't need docs to realize that I-Connect doesn't work if
> HS-Modem runs before

Yes, programs that use the RSVF-cookie (installed by HS-Modem) won't work if
HS-Modem runs before MiNT because MiNT "steals" HS-Modem and use it in it's
own serial-devices.

> MiNT. I added 2 lines in my MINT.CNF to launch HS-Modem after
> MiNT. I removed

You don't need to run it from mint.cnf, just put it in the autofolder as
usual but *after* MiNT.

> them and I-Connect doesn't work any more... but *pppd works!*

To use I-Connect you have to preserve the RSVF-cookie. This can be done
either with a small program called rsvx.prg (shouldn't be too hard to find),
or by patching MiNT (mail me for details). Use it with caution though, it's
not unlikely that having I-Connect resident will mess things up for programs
that use real devices, like pppd.

> Almost every line in
> my syslog.conf leads to /dev/con but pppd never uses the
> console even when I

Do you use TosWin2 (and xconout.xdd)? If so then you should use either
/dev/con00 or /dev/console (preferably the latter) and not /dev/con.

> And if somebody could recall me how to get my local (dynamic)
> ip once I'll be

Unless you specify an address in either pppd's commandstring or one of it's
config-files you will get the address automatically.

Jo Even Skarstein