[MiNT] PLIP-driver

Hi there,
concerning the renaming ideas of Martin-Eric:

I already renamed driver names since there had been a good reason for (the
actual implementation does not allow to find out about the hardware which
indeed may be (and was) necessary for an administration tool) and had quite
controversary discussions about that.

I personally dislike the idea for the following reason: It WILL confuse users
who already know and use PLIP if you rename the old stuff and put some new
under the SAME name! It's even more confusing having a plip.xif from an old
package talking to an aplip.xif of a new package but not talking (or even
destroying the VERY sensitive printer port) when trying to connect to a
plip.xif of a new network package.

So if you want to write new drivers simply give them new names and document
what you've done - that's ok for all. BTW, The Linux PLIP uses 4 bit data
transmission plus some handshake lines which is impossible with the original
Atari hardware. So since you will also have to write a new PLIP driver for
Linux (and Amiga and any other interesting platform if you want to have a
"compatible" protocol) simply give it a new name and all will be happy. It may
even worth a thought of porting the actual MiNT-Net PLIP to Linux. AFAIK the
Atari PLIP also allows multiple machines to connect together (at least I think
to remember Kay telling me so) which is quite interesting. But I never
evperimented with that since the Yamaha sound chip is very sensitive and ports
are easily and quickly destroyed when collisions occur!

BTW, have you already asked the Linux community for renaming their PLIP to to
LPLIP to avoid confusion???

I'm not adhering to Linux (the interface names are more like the Solaris scheme
yet) so I see no necessarity to be "compatible" in the way that every driver
name, every file name and so on tastes like Linux.

Regards,
     Torsten
--
BSK Datentechnik GmbH