Re: [MiNT] rpm

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 05:50:42PM +0100, Bjoern Spruck wrote:
> Hi freaks!
>
> How much RAM does rpm need?

4.1 MB ;-)

> Did anyone get it run on a 4mb machine?

RPM uses libdb for the database management.  I cannot say if and how
memory consumption corelates with your database size.

For a simple query like "rpm -qa", rpm itself seems to consume about 700
kB of RAM.  If you do something "real", rpm will launch at least one
instance of /bin/sh (about 550 kB) which will in turn start other tools
(mainly file-utils).

>From that I would guess that rpm requires an absolute minimum of 1.5 MB.
And I guarantee for nothing if you run out of memory.  Rpm follows the
Unix philosophy "out of memory = very fatal error, increase your swap
space".

Rpm 3.0.2 had a bug with packages that contained zillions of small files.
Under Linux (800 MB of virtual memory) it ran for ages and left a
corrupted database.  Under MiNT it terminated very quickly, gave the
"virtual memory exhausted" error messages and exited gracefully.

But I repeat: I gurantee for nothing.

Ciao

Guido
--