Re: [MiNT] PLIP-driver

> > So since you will also have to write a new PLIP driver for
> > Linux (and Amiga and any other interesting platform if you
> > want to have a "compatible" protocol) simply give it a new
> > name and all will be happy.
>
> Which is what I'm doing here:  I'm renaming _our_ protocol, to
> avoid confusion with the similarly named protocol of a larger
> platform we are trying to interact with.
>
> > It may even worth a thought of porting the actual MiNT-Net
> > PLIP to Linux.
>
> See above.....
>
> > AFAIK the Atari PLIP also allows multiple machines to connect
> > together (at least I think to remember Kay telling me so)
> > which is quite interesting.
>
> Nope.  That would require a host with multiple Centronic ports.
>
> > But I never evperimented with that since the Yamaha sound
> > chip is very sensitive and ports are easily and quickly
> > destroyed when collisions occur!
>
> *sigh*  Have you even read Kay's PLIP docs?

*sigh* Did you take a look at the source code? The documentation is not relevant
here! The PLIP protocol Kay uses is NOT collision-free, which means that ANY
machine can set the strobe line and try to transfer data when it "thinks" the
line is not in use. As soon as two machines try to send simultaneously we WILL
get a collision.

The cabling Kay published is the problem. If it is slightly changed it is in
general possible to connect more than two machines together.

But the possible collisions are one of the major problems I didn't have in mind
when telling of porting the driver: The YM2149 IS very sensitive against
these collisions. When connecting two YMs together it might not do much harm but
PC printer ports normally can deliver higher output currents so you will have to
take precautions to avoid users destroying ther soundchips! So I personally
wouldn't dare using the original PLIP cable to connect to a PCs printer port.

> PS:  while you obviously don't give a damn about Linux, bear in

That was NOT what I was writing nor what I meant.

- Torsten Lang

P. S. If you even don't write a new PLIP driver for MiNT-Net then there is even
      less need to change names since Kay already stated clearly that his PLIP
      is NOT what you will find on other platforms. If trying to avoid confusion
      by renaming a thing that didn't even change you will confuse other users
      who will suddenly find differently named drivers in the different Net
      packages that do the same thing...