Re: [MiNT] environment strings

Hi,

> > I recall that SSH (among others) uses /etc/environment to fetch
> > those.  Couldn't we also migrate to this more portable method?
>
> Eric, I don't agree with you _AT_ALL_. Doing such thing would need
> every FreeMiNT user to have a /usr /etc /var etc... filesystem
> structure and it's definitely not compliant with Atari philosophy.
>
> My personal opinion :
> If some folks want to play with Unix-like stuff, command lines and
> text mode, well OK, BUT it shouldn't interfere with FreeMiNT ability
> to be only used as a Multitos kernel by people who don't know what
> is a shell.

ssh is a Unix, command line based program, you hardly can use it without a
text shell, so where is the problem?

> I do regret that this aspect is not considered enough.
> Many things are talked about : TZ, euid and so on, but there are
> typically Unix stuff, useless for 98% of the coders on Atari.

Particular example of TZ is made unfortunately, because (I guess) every
Atari user may want the system to automatically change timezones when
necessary and that is what TZ serves for even if not everything is yet
implemented.

And for "useless" stuff, it would be great, if 98% coders on Atari
would take some things into account, even if they don't use something. I
mean, for example, being compatible with mempory protection (which belongs
to resource management you mention).

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
|mail: draco@atari.org                  |  Atari Falcon030 user   |

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.