RE: [MiNT] Warning

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 Jo-Even.Skarstein@gjensidige.no wrote:

> It didn't here either last night when I tried again... Then I tried "Cab
> Download" from CAB 2.7, saved one download on the Zip (so that the
> fileselector would open on the Zip the next download), opened CAB Download
> again and canceled the fileselector. Boom!... I'm not sure what CAB Download
> does, but the combination N.AES fileselector + CAB Download + 1.15.5 is
> deadly on my Afterburner. Btw. I've disabled the wb-cache on the Zip, but
> that didn't help. The filesystem still gets killed 1 out of 10 times when I
> do this.

I have no idea whether it is relevant, but using the ext2fs under the new
1.15.5 FreeMiNT kernel I got data corruption today. Nothing major, just
part of gcc got damaged. (At least, I believe it did, because gcc suddenly
started crashing and no amount of rebooting, trying the kernel 1.15.4 or
anything would get it going - but downloading it and re-installing the
files fixed the problem.) This may be entirely coincidental, but it is
funny that it should happen the day I install the new kernel, when I've
never had this sort of problem before.

I also noticed that the hard disc was making different noises during disc
access (may or may not be significant).

So I've re-installed the 1.15.4 kernel and now the disc access noise has
gone back to normal, and I haven't got any more data corruption yet.

As I say it may just be chance that all this happened, but I think I will
stick with 1.15.4 until 1.15.5 is more proven.

> Btw. I'm using N.AES 1.2.0 (does anybody know if I can buy 2.0 from anyone
> else than Woller? He hasn't sent me my free 1.2.0-upgrade yet (I had to get
> mine from other sources), and I won't wait over a year for 2.0...), NVDI
> 5.01 and Nova VDI 2.67 in addition to MiNT 1.15.5.

Does version 2.0 even exist??

| Mario Becroft           * Tariland, New Zealand Atari User Group      |
| mb@gem.win.co.nz        * Atari Hardware Developments:                |
| http://gem.win.co.nz/   * NEW: QWERTYX - PC AT Keyboard Interface     |