Re: [MiNT] What's in, what's out?

Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 1999 14:20:00 +0100, Jörg Westheide wrote:
>
> > GF>Yes, it is.  Without a C compiler you cannot compile your own kernel.
> > A normal user does not want to compile his own kernel. At most he will
> > install a new binary for the kernel
>
> Agree.

Because it is far too complicated to build a MiNT kernel.  A Linux
kernel is  by far more complex everybody that can read is able to build
a personal kernel.

> > GF>And besides, a lot of software is only distributed as source code.
> > You're to much a developer.
> > A normal user will only use the rpms. If something is not available through
> > the rpms, he will at most ask for it. And only if he really needs this
> > something he might have a try with the compiler. Otherwise he will just not
> > use it
>
> Here too.
>
> It should definitely not be necessary to recompile anything just to run a
> reasonably sized kernel. I think the majority of today's users are people
> who got MiNT when buying N.AES, and most of them are just interested in
> multitasking AES-applications.

And most of them wouldn't argue about a handful of kilo bytes.  And most
of them would probably not worry if the N.AES docs said: "If you want to
improve your system you should run gemconfig.app, check the features you
like to see, disable the others and click OK".  It is impossible to
offer a kernel that meets all demands and is still the most compact (get
a copy of Microsoft Windows for a prove).

If the development stuff was plug and play you could even avoid the term
"compile" and say instead "configure your system".  Well, you should
also say, "that may take some time ...". ;-)

Ciao

Guido