[MiNT] expanded /proc vs new /kern

Hello,

A while back, I asked the list about why /proc could not be fixed
to allow long filenames, so that names like "rpc.nfsd" would not
show as "rpc.<pid>" and was told that several applications expect
/proc to be an 8+3 filesystem and depend upon that.

Nobody has yet brought forth any application, assides from "ps"
(which Julian said he could easily recompile to support longer
than 8+3), that actually _depend_ upon /proc being a 8+3.

Given that most of those I can think of live in the Unix domain,
not as commercial GEM applications, I cannot think of any reason
why they couldn't be patched and recompiled.

I would appreciate someone _clearly_ justifying why /proc cannot
be expanded and also listing which apps really depend upon the
8+3 limitation.

Thanks.
Martin-Éric Racine            The Atari Stacy and TT030 Homepage
Lappeenranta, Finland          http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/
   "When the time comes, I will know and I shall be."  Q-Funk