Re: [MiNT] Where shall we go tomorrow?

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Hartmut Keller wrote:

> So be warned, this is going to take a little while. :-)
That's cool.

> In 1986 I bought my first 512 ST+ and even if there were minor changes
> (switch to STM) and updates (4MB, Harddisks, ...) this was my only
> computer at home until two years ago, when I bought a PC because of my
> job. However, I never stopped reading the MiNT list and I am still very
> interested in what's going on with MiNT.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  This is the most important thing here.

You did stop using your atari as an everyday machine. I do not think it is
fair to ask to maintain 68000 compatibility when yourself don't have to
live through the "nightmare" of maintaining, and development slowdown
because of some limitation.

> > In my eyes one of the major advantages of MiNT always has been the
> compatibility with the "old" 68000 machines. I was always impressed,
> how many aspects of a unix like operating system (which I thought needed
> more advanced hardware functionality) could be realized even on the
> small
> Motorola CPUs after all. Ok, it sometimes needed a little more thinking,
> but it could be done. And by now I haven't heard of any suggestion or
> plan,
> that really needs more than this -- well, ok, virtual memory may be one
> exception. So breaking up with 68000 compatibilty would be a sad (and in
> my opinion unnecessary) step.
see, your position is quite awkward. Your only thought is that it would be
"sad" and that it wouldn't be cool to impress you anymore coz it would
require more than an 68000.

Now, in a way, you are only saying that by your feeling, your perception
of the whole deal. This is not your primary machine. You don't have to
boot with it everyday.
Now don't get me wrong, but 1.15.x is just awesome already. and having
68000 users complaining about 1.15.x kernel, that is not right as it fits
the purpose. That is already pretty impressive.

> For myself I'd say that I most probably won't invest any further money
> in Atari hardware, because the price to power ratio is always better on
> the PC side, like it or not. So I think I won't by a Falcon or TT or
> some newer machine, and if the compatibility to 68000 is lost, I think
There you go. I don't think it is fair to hold any atari user that has an
up to date hardware. Just because it is "cool" to have MiNT newer version
only requiring a 020 or more.

> you'll also lose me as a user. And I believe there are other
> people thinking similar, keeping in touch to the Atari world because of
> sentimental reasons, because they simply like it, but are forced to use
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ important here again. My atari and sentiments. Not
yet. That's just what I use everyday. Might as well get the best out of
it.

<big snip>

All you said about MiNT Security.
Very good. I totally agree with you on that. A very good idea you brought.

Now Martin E. Racine put something like:
blah FPU, MMU, and ram etc.

Basically I agree. However an FPU within the kernel, I am not too sure
about that one. I don't think the FPU has anything to do at the kernel
level. What does the kernel have to deal with floating? how about DSP
within the kernel might as well? That's the only thing I had to say.
I agree with the rest of your post.
Oh, and apache and SSL didn't exist before 1997? Are you sure of that?