Re: [MiNT] new ttyS names

Hallo!

> I aggree in general, but the ttyS are better numbered from 0:

Why?  People would certainly find it easier to remember which tty
corresponds to which port, if the numbers follow:

 modem1 * ttyS1      1 - 1
 modem2 * ttyS2      2 - 2
serial1 * ttyS3    odd - odd
serial2 * ttyS4   even - even
   midi * ttyS5    odd - odd

> > Btw, why the separate serial2/lan entries? Why not keep only one
> > tty for serial2/lan, assume LAN is selected and then parse for a
> > LAN_SCC environment variable and if "no" switch to serial2 port?
>
> You can't use one name as different applications like to
> access different ports at the same time.

Serial2 and LAN _are_ the same port.  You cannot access both;
it's either one or the other, which either way is /dev/serial2
in both cases.

If you assume SCC A to be using LAN, unless otherwise instructed
by the proper MINT.CNF variable, then you are doing exactly what
Atari also did:  boot to LAN by default, until the sound bit is
changed to Serial2.

--
Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS