Re: [MiNT] new ttyS names

Hello!

> > This isn't more logical in any case.
>
> Yes, it is.

I disaggree.

> Real people count starting on 1, so they would tend to associate
> modem1 with ttyS1 more easily than trying to remember that modem1
> equals terminal 0.

But they associate serial1 easily to ttyS3?

> > Sorry, setting this bit is task of the device driver.
>
> I agree, but selecting user preferences could be done using an
> environment variable that the driver parses.

No, an xdd never evaluate any environment variable. And you have the same
ressource allocation problem again. There are several processes with
several environments. Which environment you have to parse? What is if
process 1 open the lan device and the other process try to open the same
device but with environment set for modem port?

Tschuess
   ...Frank

--
ATARI FALCON 040 // MILAN 040