[MiNT] thank god for ext2

Hello!

Here's one you might appreciate, if you're on a 68020 or better
and still hesitate to switch to ext2 for your main filesystem:

Just had one of those "Oh my God!  It's the end!  Over!" episode.
Partition E just could not be read, no matter what.  Of course, E
is where everything except /home is located. Quick... Let's hack
MINT.CNF to use our last backup, then run the "e2fsck e:" on the
partition. No!!!!! Ten zillion errors found; fsck comments "This
doesn't bode too good. Proceeding anyway."

Well, I'll be damned!

After it fixed the inconsistancies in the duplicate bitmaps and
other miscellaneous errors, the lost+found contained 9 folders.
Yep, you guessed it:  the rescue numbers were equivalents to the
/bin /etc /lib /opt /root /sbin /tmp /usr /var hierrarchies.
Everything was saved!  I just renamed the folders then rebooted.

Back to normal. Pfiew!

A few years ago (kellis will remember) I almost gave up on MiNT,
because Minixfs kept on finding errors it could not fix.  Seeing
as today's "catastrophic tragedy" was successfully fixed 100% by
e2fsck, where previously fsck never quite worked, this was quite
a nice relief, for a change.

So, there you have it.  On ext2, "irrecoverable errors" _can_ be
fixed, most of the time. Thanks to Axel and Frank for porting it!
--
Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS