[MiNT] Mint IEEE 1394 drivers ?

Hi All,

I have just been reading through the mailing list, most of the content
"goes over my head" as we say here, it has been too many years since
I used unix on any machine.

I was looking to see if anyone had mentioned drivers for IEEE1394 cards.

For about a year now I have been trying to find out about IEEE 1394
Firewire cards and drivers. As I am sure most of you are aware, this
is the interface found on the latest Apples and there are PC type cards
available at reasonable prices now.

It's key use is digital home-video but it has other uses as well.
Where USB is replacing low speed interfaces, 1394 will no doubt
replace high-speed connections like SCSI and IDE, eventually.

During my searches I found a link to a group that is developing 1394
drivers for Linux:

        http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/

I am not an expert on Mint, I only use NAES and haven't managed to
work out what I need to install to get a Mint/unix set-up but I
guess that the 1394 source could be incorporated into FreeMint without
too much difficulty.

I don't know how useful these drivers be would be on a Milan or Hades
with an IEEE 1394 card but if the drivers where available, it would allow
some
experiments with some 1394 firewire devices.

For those who don't know, 1394 supports  up to 63 devices at speeds up to
400Mbit/s. Digital video from a camcorder ranges from 1.5 to 216Mbit/s
which is still very quick, maybe too much for a Milan040 or even an 060.
The images from a digital camcorder are 720x480 in 16bit colours,
at <=30 fps.

Tempted ?

Peter Slegg.