Re: [MiNT] bug/virus???

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Thomas Binder wrote:

>> root@liquid# rm -rf .*            <a momentary lapse of sanity>
> I'm sorry, but how should that happen? rm _never_ follows symbolic links
> (it even doesn't have an option to do so), so how could deleting .* in
> some subdirectory affect the contents of /bin? Or did you actually type
> /* (which is quite possible on a US/UK-style keyboard)?

Happened to me almost as above, but didn't get all the way to the root.
Liquid is slow, thank goodness. ;) It did kill most of /f/usr/local/
though (fortunately I had just taken a backup, which is why I was rm'ing
stuff).

It would, I reckon, have got to /f/ though, and from there would have
killed /f/bin (which, of course, isn't a symlink).

Deleting /* would probably access the floppy, which would probably cause
my brain to kick in rapidly. :)

Anyhow, this is o/t. :)