Re: [MiNT] FMRAMFS 0.70

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:

> > It need the current FreeMiNT header files as it is a kernel
> > modul
>
> What's the point of developping MINTLIB, then.  Might as well
> use separate libraries for everything...

The point is that it, like ext2.xfs, sockdev.xdd, etc, are kernel modules
so they require, or should, the kernel header files. They are
kernel extensions, hence the *.x?? file naming convention, along with the
fact that they are loaded by the kernel at boot. The kernel (includes
modules) should be self contained, and not link against any libraries.

Applications should use the libc header files, i.e. the mintlib, and be
linked against the libc, i.e. the mintlib, unless of course you want to
write all those functions yourself, and reinvent the wheel. And a few bugs
;-)

I also can't complete a boot with fnramfs-0.70. I'm using 1.15.6b (I did
briefly try 1.15.7, but reverted to 6b - can't remember why, though!)

Salut/.

J/.
__
John Blakeley