[MiNT] MiNT lib 55

Hi,

I have installed the MiNT Lib PL 55, and have a bit mixed feelings. Well,
the PL 55 is undoubtfully more worked out than previous versions were, at
the other hand many programs don't compile anymore (like the original
Stephen Usher's init package: 8 out of 17 programs compile, and among
these, which don't, is init itself, syslogd and login, so three most
important ones); at the third hand :-) I can accept that last as long as
the new lib will be better for porting new software... anyways, several
questions are left:

1) The comment in stdio.h regarding the binary mode for streams is a
   little bit unclear, when about the stdin, stdout, and stderr.
   Are these binary now by default, so that code like
   stdin->_flag |= _IOBIN can be just removed?

2) Where the macro S_IFBLK is defined (in PL 49 it was)?

3) Why a "program" like:

	#include <mintbind.h>

	int
	main()
	{
		Cconws("Dupa blada\r\n");
		return 0;
	}

   which does not contain a single library reference, has exactly 39
   kilobytes after linking (and stripping symbols)? Isn't that a little
   exaggeration? Why the binary contains a message like "This program
   require(s) a FPU!", while I didn't specify -m68881 in compiler options?
   Why there's a text "assertion failed" compiled in, when I didn't use
   assert()? Upto PL 49 it was quite difficult to make a program, which
   would be under 10k in final binary, now this is 4 times more. Are
   memory expansions (for Falcon) 4 times cheaper today?

4) Why a simple program after compiling and linking with "-pg", once run,
   immediately gets killed by the code in bios.c, which protects the
   system against changing an exception vector into private memory? And
   simultaneously cursor stops blinking, what is the normal MiNT reaction
   after the GEMDOS timer vector gets unhooked. Do profiling functions of
   the library use GEMDOS timer? What for, and why (apparently)
   changing something directly, not via Setexc()? And BTW. doesn't MiNT
   have interval timer especially for e.g. profiling?

Thanks for the info in advance,

Gtx,

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
mail: draco@atari.org

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** Taka to juz natura pospolstwa, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.