Re: [MiNT] MiNT lib 55

On 2000-5-14, Guido Flohr <gufl0000@stud.uni-sb.de> wrote:

> > Well, Frank's specs transform that into 020-040 plus FPU.
>
> And the implied -m68881 is meaningless for the kernel, see below.

There is a life beyond library and kernel building.  It's called
applications.

> > Nope.  Only that, after stating so many times that you don't see
> > the point in my using FPU optimization, you and Frank nonetheless
> > ended up hacking to the specs to generate FPU-enabled code when
> > -m68020-60 is used.
>
> And you have been taught countless times that the kernel
> doesn't do any floating point arithmetics.

Spell:   A P P L I C A T I O N S.

There have been at least 3 threads where I state that an SSH
binary without FPU is significantly slower.

> Anyway, you shouldn't make such a statement if you don't even
> know the effect of the most common optimizations like
> -fomit-frame-pointer.

If it really was such a common optimization, I would have ran
into it ages ago.

--
Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS