Re: [MiNT] Gemjing and memory protection: possible?

Hi!

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 11:34:35AM +0100, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:
> > pid 118 (thing) MEMORY VIOLATION type=privat ........
> > pid 105 (aessys) MEMORY VIOLATION type=free RW=r AA=1C983C PC=121A4RE
> > BP=1212000
> > (aessys) Operating system killed
> > FATAL ERROR
> >
> I really don't know what's happening, but it could be that GEMjing
> broadcasts an AV-message or something (just a guess) and that this kills the
> responding apps. It's not likely though (e.g. why should aessys suffer from
> this?)

N.AES unfortunately has problems when the system shell (i.e. the
desktop) gets killed and it had installed its own desktop - which Thing
of course does. In such situations, it often happens that N.AES gets
killed while trying to clean up.

Anyway, Thing 1.27b won't get killed by "malicious" AV messages (i.e.
sent by clients not using global memory for them). And yes, I know that
I promised to publish the English translation of the patch some months
ago. In fact, it is finished, I was just too lazy to pack it into an
archive and put it on the download page up to now (and this "up to now"
actually means "for some months" as well) :-/

For a quick test, Martin, set GEMJing's memory protection flags to
"global" and see if that makes any difference.

Ciao

Thomas

--
Thomas Binder (Gryf @ IRCNet)  gryf@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de