Re: [MiNT] X

Hi,

I have tried the X out, because I was eager to experiment with it since
before I installed MiNT.

My first though, before installing it was that it was mentioned that there
were some X apps compiled for MiNT.

It occured to me that if there is a given program like "xeyes", you have
to make sure to run the X server first, before running xeyes, as the
desktop will have no way to know to launch the server first.  This may be
fine for testing, but I have a feeling could be annoying for the regular
user.  Of course if you have tons of unix stuff installed, I suppose you
would set it up so X always was auto-run by N.AES, etc.

It makes sense to me to add an extension like:

xeyes.x11, or something similar, and associate .x11 to the X server, so
that it is sure to launch.  (but the X program would just need to be
modified to execute it's command-line and AV_start arguments).

anyone else like this idea?

(I know it conflicts with traditional unix not needing extensions on
executable, but hey, this isn't traditional unix neither).

Next:  According to the docs, the X server doesn't run in > 8bit, or
produces invalid output.

I managed to run it (it spit out a lot of debugging stuff over my GEM
desktop), and also run xclock and oclock and the x info program (which
said I was running in mono).  When I tried to run the xeyes, my machine
froze, so that it needed to be rebooted.

(fyi, I am running nova (mach64) at 1024x768x65535).

To me this is an interesting project, because I like GEM much better than
X, but this gives us an ability to run X apps without having to switch
entirely over to X.  (especially since the X for MiNT is so out of date).

Thanks,

   Noah Silva