[MiNT] SpareMiNT smail and Pine

Hiya:)

Today I'll get my new SCSI harddisk, so I'll soon know whether my ext2
trouble were simply to blame on the slowly dying harddisk in my Falcon. On
to the next problem. :)

I have quite a nice SpareMiNT setup running on my two TTs now (yep, with
ext2). I only have some problems with the latest sparemint versions of
smail and Pine.

Smail seems to have been compiled with some strong security settings,
which I can probably switch off in the config or router file, but I don't
know how. There are two problems:

1. It wants a dot to be present in the HELO hostname. But when Pine uses
smail to send mail, it sais "HELO localhost". If I could either convince
Pine to say localhost.localdomain or tell smail that localhost is ok as a
hostname, this problem would be solved.

2. It refuses the email when it can't verify the return address. A cool
feature and I would like that for incoming mail from the outside world,
but when I press ctrl+X in Pine to send a message I'm usually offline so
there's no way of verifying my own return address. Even when
"bassment.nu" is in my /etc/hosts. So the two ways I can think of solving
this problem: Tell smail to use /etc/hosts when verifying the return
address of email (or in another way assume that @bassment.nu is always
correct if the user exists), or tell smail not to check this at all (would
be cool if it did though). Obviously smail knows that the maildomain
bassment.nu is handled locally, otherwise incoming mail wouldn't be
delivered to the local mailboxes (which it is). So I don't know what else
to do.

I temporarily solved the problem by replacing the new smail binary with
the ancient one from KGMD, and I can live with that for now.

Then Pine itself has been giving me some trouble too. On both TTs, Pine
aborts when I try to configure it (Main menu-> Setup-> Config). No other
messages are given: Just "Problem detected: Received abort
signal. Exiting." (Typed from memory though). :)

My second Pine problem only occurs on one of the two TTs and therefore is
probably a system configuration problem, I just have no idea where to
look: When I try to save a message to a folder (and also when I send a
message and Pine tries to copy it to the sent-mail folder), Pine complains
that it's "Unable to create scratch file: Bad file descriptor" and no
saving is done. I have no idea what is wrong here. Both $TMP and $TEMP
point to /tmp and /tmp exists and is writable for everybody. No other app
has complained about anything similar. What part of the configuration
could I have overlooked?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Happy newyear,

Maurits.