RE: [MiNT] XaAES / GEM memory issues

> I believe that F_OS_SPECIAL can be improved, but it would require some
> modifications to the AES (or adding a TSR that steals the AES trap). If I
> understand you, F_OS_SPECIAL currently allows the AES to read and write
> *anywhere*, as if memory protection was disabled.

Basically, yes. It allows the AES to access the (normally
protected) application arrays and the backside of this is that the AES can
read/write everything, except free memory IIRC.

> What if it only added the
> AES-applications' memoryspace to the memoryspace of the AES? appl_init and
> appl_exit could trigger this (either directly from the AES, or by a TSR),
> adding and removing apps to the AES memoryspace as needed. This way the AES
> would still be allowed to f**k with AES applications, but everything else
> would be protected, thus allowing traditional AES-designs to still work with
> MP but with increased stability and security.

Hmm... this would mean, correct me if I am wrong, that we'd need to export
a function which could attach/detach certain memory regions to certain
process. And make this function publicly available. Hm....

> > And btw about removals: we have just exterminated the critical error
> > handler. In 1.16 changing this vector will have no effect. I think AES
> > developers may be interested in this information.
> >
> Doesn't STiNG use this vector? If so, cutting off STiNG won't increase the
> popularity of MiNT, but rather support the myth that MiNT is for the elite.

STiNG???? Uses critical error handler??? What for???

> What problems does this solve btw?

F.e. a problem of an alert constantly appearing eventhough you keep
clicking "Cancel".

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
mail: draco@atari.org

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** Taka to juz natura pospolstwa, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.