RE: [MiNT] XaAES / GEM memory issues

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 Jo-Even.Skarstein@vital.no wrote:

> [...]

Well, Consider this.  I have my TT on the network all the time (currently
it seems to be crashed most of the time, but...).  I would like to give
people telnet accounts without worrying that someone could easily sniff a
password and then run an exploit.  One way around this is to run ssh, and
granted, you shouldn't have users on the system you can't trust, but it
would also be nice to know that it isn't trivial to defeat the system
security.  I think there could be a way to keep it so that only the AES
can have these privlidges though.  Perhaps having the AES occupy a certain
process ID like it does in MagiC would be usefull.

> > the process which is just requesting F_OS_SPECIAL, is the "right" one, and
> > not, for example, a demo which just changed its name to "AESSYS" a while
> >
> Only one process should be allowed to have F_OS_SPECIAL. If somebody wants
> to protect themselves from exploits and don't want to use a current AES,
> supply a small program (with source ofcourse) that grabs this but otherwise
> doesn't do anything. Or simply disable it in mint.cnf...

I agree with this.

> Ofcourse, when we have an AES that doesn't need this, and this AES is
> atleast as capable as it's competitors, F_OS_SPECIAL should be removed.

that capable part seems a ways off unfortunatly ;<