Re: [MiNT] kernel 1.15.10b fragmentation

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Thomas Binder wrote:

> > Proposal for new kernel function:
> >
> > 	long MAccess (unsigned long address, unsigned long size,
> > 		      short int mode);
> >
> > This function should allow "innocent" applications to check a pointer
> > of foreign or otherwise dubious origin before it is being used.

> The main problem with that call is of course that it would not help at
> all when the user doesn't run a MiNT kernel that already supports it.

I haven't read Draco's doc about MP friendly programming but I believe
it's not that hard to make new applications MP compatible. The main
problem is IMHO in those old applications that do not have replacements
yet and their source code is not available (ST-Guide has been recently
named as one of those problematic but widely used programs). The proposed
kernel call doesn't help them, does it?

Petr
--
News: Clocky 3.10b, PARCP 3.80!, Atari800 1.04 at http://joy.atari.org/