[MiNT] Memory Protection Horror Show (long)

Hi everybody,

Well I just installed the last RPMs: freemint-1.15.12-1, freemint-sbin-1.15.12-1
and e2fsprogs-1.14-6 and I tested the memory protection...

It just doesn't work on my Hades060!

First, I just renamed MINTNP.PRG into MINT.PRG and rebooted. fsck.ext2 reported:

MiNT.ext2 contains a file system with errors, check forced.

I don't know exactly what errors it found because it is very silent... (Should I
say "sneaky"?) But what it made, I know: it scrambled the flags and ownership of
several programs in the /sbin folder.

I know that this filesystem was errorless because I always use fsck.* at boot
time and shutdown to turn everything down. (Do you know how many time it takes
to check 6.8 GB split in 4 mixed ext2/minix partitions? Just a little too many!)

I used the backup of my /sbin folder to restore it because there were flags that
I even didn't know they exist... (Like: "?---S-----".) and that I didn't know
how to remove. And there I go for my second attempt.

Second, I made a copy of fsck.ext2 and fsck.minix in /boot/mint so
/sbin/fsck.ext2 wasn't any more on the partition it was supposed to check. (It
always worked but I thought it could be a problem.) I also changed the memory
flags of Jinnee to global because it always exploded. What I got was something I
never saw:

pid 1 (AESSYS): MEMORY VIOLATION: type hardware RW=r AA=FFFFFFCA PC=455776
BP=446000
pid 1 (AESSYS): Operating system killed
FATAL ERROR. You must restart the system.

That was the last time I used the memory protection. I'm fed up with it!

My setup (in which I see nothing wrong):

Hades060, 96 MB of ST-RAM

IDE 1: 3.2 GB split into:
C, D, E, F, G, H, I. (All TOS partitions except G: 500 MB Minix)

IDE 2: 6.3 MB split into:

J: 2.1 GB Minix
K: 2.1 GB Ext2 -- where all my MiNT stuff is located.
L: 2.1 GB Minix

SCSI peripherals:

M: is an internal EZ-135 (Ext2 but unused), R: is my CD-ROM. (I can also have N:
a ZIP-100 VFAT 16 bits, O: 850 MB Ext2 as backup and W: my CD-Writer... but they
weren't plugged for the tests.)

My AUTO folder:

EMULATOR
MENU
STA_VDI
XBOOT
SET_MMU
NOVACAL
PCI_BIOS
NVDI
DRVIN
SCC
BOXKITE
DMIRROR
METAXBS
CALVINO
MINTNP

My MINT.CNF (without comments and without echo to make it shorter):

SLICES=2
SECURELEVEL=1
FASTLOAD=YES
HIDE_B=true
CACHE=500
NEWFATFS=C,E,F,G,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P
WB_ENABLE=C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P
VFAT=N
cd U:\
CON=u:\dev\con
PRN=u:\dev\centr
setenv UNIXMODE cu/brUs
setenv HOSTNAME hugo
setenv DOMAINNAME nowhere.com
setenv LOGNAME root
setenv USER root
setenv HOME u:\home
setenv SHELL /bin/bash
setenv TEMP u:\tmp
setenv TEMPDIR u:\tmp
setenv PATH u:\bin,u:\sbin,... (Line too long for Netscape)
setenv TERM tw52
setenv TERMCAP u:/etc/termcap
setenv TERMINFO u:/usr/share/terminfo
setenv MANPATH u:/usr/man
setenv PPPD_PATH u:/bin/pppd
setenv LANGUAGE fr
setenv LANG fr
setenv ENV /home/.bashrc
setenv ENV_BASH /home/.bashrc
setenv SHELL u:\bin\bash
exec c:\mint\sbin\fsck-e2.ttp -p K:
sln k:\bin u:\bin
sln k:\etc u:\etc
sln k:\home u:\home
sln k:\lib u:\lib
sln k:\lost+found u:\lost+found
sln k:\mnt u:\mnt
sln k:\opt u:\opt
sln k:\root u:\root
sln k:\sbin u:\sbin
sln k:\tmp u:\tmp
sln k:\usr u:\usr
sln u:\usr\bin u:\usr\etc
sln u:\usr\bin u:\usr\ucb
sln k:\var u:\var
sln u:\var\spool u:\usr\spool
sln u:\var\lock u:\usr\spool\locks
sln u:\var\tmp u:\usr\tmp
sln u:\var\log u:\var\adm
exec c:\mint\sbin\fsck-mnx.ttp -p G:
exec c:\mint\sbin\fsck-mnx.ttp -p J:
exec c:\mint\sbin\fsck-mnx.ttp -p L:
ren u:\a u:\floppy
ren u:\c u:\boot
sln u:\boot\mint u:\mint
ren u:\m u:\ez-135
ren u:\n u:\zip-100
ren u:\r u:\cdrom
ren u:\z u:\ram
sln u:\dev\modem1 u:\dev\ttya
sln u:\dev\modem2 u:\dev\ttyb
exec u:\sbin\tzinit -l
exec u:\usr\bin\portmap
exec u:\usr\sbin\syslogd
exec c:\auto\fpu060v3.prx
exec c:\auto\ckbd.prx
exec c:\auto\ldg.prx
GEM=C:\n_aes\n_aes030.sys

Some infos about K:

# df /k
k:/                    2230199    383070   1847129  17% u:/

# fsinfo /k
files  links  path_max  name_max  atomic  trunc  case  file
    -  32000         -       255    1024     no   yes  /k

Well... I think I won't include the list of the 70+ RPMs I have installed...
;-)

See ya,

Remi Villatel
maxilys@normandnet.fr