Re: [MiNT] Thing

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Thomas Binder wrote:

> > It is quite bad thing to have open-source OS without really cool
> > desktop.
>
> Even though XaAES has made some progress, I still don't consider it a
> fully useable AES. And N.AES definitely isn't open source - it's just
> MiNT which is, but without a GUI it's not a full Atari-compatible OS.

Also, TOS isn't open source. So, I agree with Thomas that we really don't
have an open source OS at all here, looking at the total. :) But one with
very high value-for-money nontheless. Keep in mind that OSes being open
source is not all that standard. In fact, the only open source OSes I know
are Linux and Minix. Heck, even MS-DOS isn't free. I can't believe people
actually paid for that. :)

Seeing the power of tos+mint+naes+thing, I gladly pay all the costs. What
bothers me the most however, is the trouble of getting the money over to
the right person.

On the other hand, I do hope that developers at least make their last
version (not even the source) available for free once they quit supporting
(and selling) it. Too many great Atari programs have gone down the drain
by simply no longer being available even to people who want to pay for it.

Anyway, I'm a happy registered 1.27-user, pretty curious about what's
going to be in 1.29 and 1.30 but concerning Thing I have nothing to
complain about at the moment. :)

Maurits.

--

 |                 BassMent Productions - Freedom of creativity!|
 | Music productions - Projects - Internet presence - Webdesign |___
 |                     http://www.bassment.nu/                  |  |
                             |      http://www.muzikanten.nu/      |
                             | Het muzikantennetwerk van Nederland |