Re: [MiNT] INIT

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 12:02:42PM +0200, Adam wrote:
> I've been playing with mint-init and writing init scripts. It is a lot of
> fun :)
>
> Few questions:
>  - Init, when we enter runlevel 0, kills everything. Shouldn't script do
> it instead?

Yes.  But scripts are polite and should send only a SIGTERM and
SIGQUIT.  You will notice that some applications are stubborn enough to
ignore these signal.

>  - in rc scripts from linux redhat there is a command: kill -15 -1. I
> don't know exactly but (IMHO) it should kill everything with exception of
> kill process and the parent process (shell). It does not work in MiNT that
> way, should it?

No, a negative PID argument to kill will hit the process group with that
process group id.

>  - there is no killproc program.. but it can be easilly done with a
> script.

Go ahead! :-)

As far as I remember, killproc() was really a shell function defined in
some script included via '.' in the RedHat init scripts.  SuSE has a
program /sbin/killproc that has the same purpose.  AFAIK, sysvinit (Miquel
Smorenburg's package that mint-init is based on) contains sources for
killproc, startproc etc.

Ciao

Guido