Re: [MiNT] aclocal and automake programs broken in automake-1.4

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 09:04:26PM +0200, Michael Schwingen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 11:03:07PM +0200, Guido Flohr wrote:
> >
> > Of course, everybody that has Perl installed on a system should create a
> > symlink from /usr/bin/perl to /usr/local/bin/perl.  It is more common
> > to look for Perl in /usr/local/bin than in /usr/bin.
>
> Huh?
>
> Every distribution that comes bundled with perl has to have it somewhere
> else than in /usr/local/bin - it usually is in /usr/bin on Linux systems.
> /usr/local should not be populated with stuff by the distribution, only by
> the user.

I meant: If you only have /usr/bin/perl then it is very wise to create a
symlink /usr/local/bin/perl yourself, by hand.  Otherwise you will have to
change the shebang line in half of the Perl scripts floating around the
net.

BTW, if you build and install Perl yourself, the configure script even
recommends that symlink and creates it for you on demand.  In the
special case of Perl I wouldn't even mind if a distribution created that
soft link in case it does not already exist.  Experienced users will know
how to get rid of it, and the local Perl guru will not have to answer the
same question again and again.

Ciao

Guido