Re: [MiNT] 1.15.12 is memory hungry

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001  17:39:45 , "Edward S. Baiz Jr" <ebaiz@skyenet.net> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have discovered strange thing. The new kernel is very memory hungry. I
> > thought that it is caused by the memory protection, but when I disable mp the
> > amount of used memory was the same. When I was running 1.15.6 I have about
> > 7.5MB of free memory and with kernel 1.15.10 or 1.15.12 I have only about
> > 5MB. So I want ask where are these 2.5 MB. There is problem that standard
> > F030 is not possible upgrade to more than 14 MB, So I need every free byte.
> > The new kernel is fine but it seems that it is usable only on machines with
> > more than 20 MB. So I must switch back to 1.15.6.
> >
> > Jan
>
> I have 256meg of ram in my Hades060. Sometimes when I am usng the new kernal
> I get the "out of memory" or "not enough memory" warnings. I am not sure if it is
> due to the new kernel or the way I have mint setup.

I had a problem with my setup on my hades and it was
a program executed when bash was used showing the number of free memory.
The program was installed by Mint98.

When the failing program was removed from the script
(I think it was .bash_login) the problem was gone.

Maybe it is the same problem for you.

/Erik Hall

        Hiroshima 45, Tjernobyl 86, Windows 95,
             Avoid the next disaster.....