Re: [MiNT] CAB OVL (?)

> choosen URL. Clicking the "Back" button gives strange results: the most
> often is just "Error 404", but I've also seen a message like "302 -
> FOUND" (and nothing happens after that).

I can give you more precise information about that bug, but I have no idea
how to solve it. :) The problem is that cab's cache handling is extremely
buggy. I'm not sure if the ovl or the app is the problem.

There are two bugs causing this problem together:

1. Most of the pages you visit, aren't kept in the cache at all, but
thrown out immediately after display.

2. Cab doesn't have a clue which pages are in the cache and which aren't.
In this case, cab thinks the pages are cached, but when you quit and
reload cab, it knows they aren't. I guess the ovl decides at the very last
moment not to cache the page, and Cab doesn't know. Result: the cache.cab
file is ok, but the data in memory is wrong.

So when you click the back button, Cab (or the ovl) thinks the page still
is in the cache and tries to reload it from there, but it's not. Pressing
(shift+)reload often doesn't help, the page still comes from cache. This
is yet another bug. :)

The (second) problem is caused by whichever part of the program decides
whether a page is in cache or not.

> Is this a fault of CAB itself, or the cab.ovl (version 1.8602, the one
> which was lately announced by Howard)?

I haven't even installed that version yet, so if it's the ovl's fault,
it's not just that version.

I've had this problem for quite some time, and now it seems to be gone.
Not that I have upgraded or changed anything, but it seems a bit more is
kept in cache this time. (But the amount of data kept in cache is still
far from the limits I configured).

I did increase the limits once, maybe you should try that too.

Is there an RFC somewhere that states that http clients are supposed to be
full of bugs? Cab, Adamas, MSIE, Netscape and Opera all have amounts of
bugs uncomparable to other types of (non-m$) applications of the same
magnitude. :)

(If there is, Lynx is violating that RFC). :)

Maurits.

--
 |                 BassMent Productions - Freedom of creativity!|
 | Music productions - Projects - Internet presence - Webdesign |___
 |                     http://www.bassment.nu/                  |  |
                             |      http://www.muzikanten.nu/      |
                             | Het muzikantennetwerk van Nederland |