Re: [MiNT] Toswin2, X11, CT2b

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 23:08:56 , Martin Tarenskeen <m.tarenskeen@zonnet.nl> wrote:
[...]
> With CT2b turbomode switched off: I try to start X.app from my bash shell
> in the TOSWIN2 window. I see the X logo appear across the screen and a
> number of messages. After that a little window appears called "xconsole".

This is the normal behave of an X server to run xconsole at startup if
no other receiver for textual output in the graphical environment is
running.  Under GEM this will be detected by trying if /dev/gemcon is
writeable.

> In the toswin2 window I can't enter a command to start an X client. I

That's normal, you can't have more than one foreground job in a shell.
Start it with "X.app &" to make it a background job or simply start it
from your desktop -- the latter is the reason why it is called x.APP :-)

> decide to open a second shell window. From there, after I have manually
> added /usr/X11R6/bin to the PATH, I enter "xclock". Another big white
> console window opens, before - yes! - a clock appears giving the right

Uhm?  That soudns indeed strange, I have no clue on what this depends.