Re: [MiNT] OT: The test is wrong

Hi!

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 01:45:58PM +0200, Maurits van de Kamp wrote:
> I saw the message that "proves" smtpf.casema.net is an "open
> relay" mailserver, but the test message was sent from a Casema
> internet connection! Of course it's relayed!

But it shouldn't have been relayed, as both the

MAIL FROM:

and

RCPT TO:

address were outside the casema network (both were @dsbl.org), so
it's definitely acting as a relay. The source IP address should
not cause such checks to be skipped.

> This is the first time I heard of a testsite like this, and
> already I have come to the conclusion that it's completely
> worthless. :)

Well, you should re-think that. A mail server that accepts mail
that is addressed to AND from addresses not beloning to its own
network is by definition an open relay. No matter what source IP
you use for the STMP connect.

Ciao

Thomas

--