Re: [MiNT] OSMD release

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 15:14:19 +0100 (CET), Standa Opichal wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Nice to hear about this distribution as this might be the very one to
> install a minimal RPM driven base without any GEM setup programs.

Yes, that's just it.

> I didn't manage to try it out so far.... :(

It takes up to two hours on a Falcon030, but I hope it is much faster on
ARAnyM - please try.

> Small suggestion follow anyway...
>
> May the archive name contain the version number (on the WEB)?

Good idea. I hould not be so lazy and just replace the zip file.

> Is it likely the it would be able to install the SpareMiNT directly from
> the ftp (like: rpm -i ftp://sparemint.atariforge.net/pub/sparemint/sparemint/RPMS/*.rpm).
> So that the only thing I need to run on my client is a working mintnet
> configuration and not having to have all the RPMs locally?

I think it is nearly possible. You could run the setup.en script from shell,
but first it have to be modified a bit.

> Maybe a cooperation/improvements in CrippleMiNT installation (the mintnet
> minimal distro). I would suggest to install the CrippleMiNT and than
> seemlesly change this into full SpareMiNT via the OSMD for example.

Interesting idea. Theoretically I could change the script (see above) setup.en
- the heart of OSMD in the way it could be started from a bash of any
installed MiNT.

> This
> would be very valuable e.g. in LAN environments where I simply have the
> RPMS somewhere and I would want to install OSMD on some other machine
> there.... (notebook, whatever).

Now when ARAnyM network works the rpm-ftp cooperation would be great. I will
try to prepare something like this to the OSMD 0.8.

Best regards,

Bohdan Milar